The humble lemon drizzle cake is tasty, yet quick and easy to make which means it’s on our “Cakes that everyone will eat and that have a low probability of going wrong” shortlist. Whilst a moist, tangy lemon cake is enough to get us salivating, we decided to add a twist by combining the lemon juice with the juice of crushed raspberries. The end result is a pink syrup that looks great and tastes delicious.
175g self-raising flour
150g caster sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
Grated rind of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of a handful of raspberries
100g caster sugar
- Add all cake ingredients in to a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth (sift the flour and baking powder in).
- Grease and line a loaf tin, then spoon the mixture in
- Stick the tin in the oven at 180 degrees for about 60 minutes
- Once done (should look like a cake!), take it out and put it on to a wire tray to sit
- Add the lemon juice, raspberry juice and sugar in to a saucepan and heat until dissolved
- With the cake still warm (very important), gently drizzle the syrup over the top of it
- Leave to sit for another hour to let the syrup soak in fully